If you deal with insects or rodent problems frequently, you may have seen those articles that list DIY methods of pest control. More often than not, these methods are nothing more than myths, and you’ll end up wasting your time trying out ineffective methods.
Here are some common pest control myths that you shouldn’t believe:
- Myth #1: Cinnamon repels ants. Some people believe that putting cinnamon near windows or other entry points will prevent ants from entering your home. While the strong smell of cinnamon can confuse ants and throw off their scent trail, it won’t actually keep them from getting into your house.
- Myth #2: A cat is all you need for effective rodent control. Cats may catch a mouse or two every so often, but they aren’t a solution to your rodent problem. Mice and other rodents often hide in walls where your cat can’t reach them. In addition, rodents can carry and transmit diseases to your cat, so it’s best to hire a professional instead of relying on your pets.
- Myth #3: Bug bombs are safe to use. Bug bombs are aerosol pesticides that many homeowners use to eliminate insects indoors. Not only are these products ineffective, but they also pose a health risk to you and others residing in your home. Inhaling the pesticides has been known to make people ill.
- Myth #4: All pest control methods are toxic. For some people, the word “pesticide” suggests inevitable toxic chemicals. However, not all pest control products are harmful. The best pest control companies use natural, eco-friendly products that are safe for you and the environment.
- Myth #5: Only dirty homes get pests. While dirty homes are more prone to pest problems, a clean home doesn’t guarantee that you won’t have to deal with them. Whether they come in through gaps or on your clothing, pests can enter your home regardless of how clean it is.
Instead of prolonging the problem by relying on myths, it’s best to call a pest control company right away.